DORCHESTER Town’s Ability Counts sides were in action on Sunday as two teams travelled to Blandford to take part in their respective leagues.

Dorchester’s Lulworth League team had two fixtures against Wimborne Town, with the latter side having won their previous game this season.

Dorchester started the first game better as winger Kieran Pitman struck the ball with force that the Wimborne goalkeeper nearly let the ball slip into the back of the net.

Wimborne were astute with their long balls and from set pieces, as defender Liam Thorne lofted the ball towards the back post but Kieron Eden blocked the effort on the line.

The missed chance appeared to be crucial as within five minutes Dorchester scored the first goal of the game as captain Brendan Butcher’s shot was deflected and, following a goal line scramble, Pitman tapped it in.

Wimborne sparked into life following the goal as Dorchester goalkeeper Dan Williamson had to get down low twice to deny them.

They had another chance to bring the game level just before half time from a free kick but the Dorchester defenders blocked the goal bound attempt.

The first chance of the second half fell the way of Dorchester with Danny Kiy dribbling the ball skilfully through the Wimborne defence, only to be scythed down by Thorne and the referee pointed for a penalty which was scored by Kiy.

Dorchester were more relaxed after their second, creating the chance of the game as Butcher chipped the ball through to Pitman, who controlled it well under pressure and laid it off to Kiy who was denied a second by the foot of the Wimborne goalkeeper.

The match came to a close soon after as Dorchester won 2-0.

Manager Jason Brookes said he thought that his side defended well as a unit and took the chances when they came.

Dorchester started their second game the way they had finished the first with Danny Kiy winning the ball from Thorne straight from the kick off only to strike the side netting.

Butcher then tried his luck twice within five minutes, first forcing the goalkeeper into a save with a shot from the outside of his boot and then the captain struck the post after Pitman drilled the ball in low from a corner.

These missed chances got Wimborne into the game, however their conviction in front of goal was lacking, made clear when a volley fell straight into Williamson’s arms.

Dorchester eased their nerves soon into the second half with a goal.

Dan Williamson kicked the ball long towards Kiy who, having been denied earlier in the game, rectified this with a cool finish low to the right of the goalkeeper.

Dorchester regained their swagger following the goal which nearly saw Kiy grab a brace when the striker latched onto a backheel from his captain and forced the goalkeeper into another save.

Wimborne almost got an equaliser when Dorchester defender Kevin Williamson punted the ball away facing his own net, just inches wide of the goal but the corner saw another shot deflected over bringing an end to the proceedings.

Butcher said that he was unlucky not to score in the game but praised Kiy and the rest of his team for grinding out a result in a professional way.

Dorchester’s Durdle Door League side meanwhile fought hard to earn a point against the team top of their league, Dorset Abilities Group, with captain Tom Best’s strike bringing the Magpies level.

Best was on target in their second game though it took goals from their strike force of Callum Vickery and Jordan Pitman to overcome Parley Sports, with the score finishing 3-2 to Dorchester.