UPWEY & Broadwey suffered late frustration as a controversial penalty handed Stalbridge a 2-1 victory in Division One of the Dorset League.

The hosts took the lead in the 16th minute, after a fantastic Tom Cherry solo effort.

Cherry picked the ball up in the centre circle, before charging forward, ghosting past a couple of defenders, before drawing the Stalbridge goalkeeper out and slotting it past him.

Cherry had another brilliant chance when he rounded the last man, but got clipped to earn Upwey a free-kick which they could not capitalise from.

However, Stalbridge would take their chance when it came.

Matt Roberts gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box, which Stalbridge were able to confidently slam it into the top corner to level after 70 minutes.

The main source of controversy came with five minutes to go.

A goalmouth scramble saw Stalbridge on the verge of scoring with Upwey defiantly trying to keep the ball out, which they did three times.

However, Ross Walden was adjudged to have hand-balled it during a block, which the referee brought it back after three further attempts on goal for the handball having initially played the advantage.

Stalbridge then tucked the penalty away to the dismay of Upwey manager Steve Reynolds.

The home side tried to apply late pressure but they could not rescue anything from the encounter.

Reynolds said: "The result of the game was completely determined by some appalling refereeing.

"When I say that I have been in football a number of years, you get decisions some you agree with, some you don't agree with but when the opposition are completely dumbfounded at the penalty decision.

"A draw probably would have been a fair result."

As a result, Upwey sit sixth in the table, while their opponents Stalbridge stay fourth.

Upwey host Swanage Town & Herston Reserves on Saturday (2pm).

Upwey: H Reynolds, R Walden, Roberts, Sapsworth, Norman, W Walden, Jarvis, Otton, Jones, Cherry, Hangar (Allen 46). Subs not used: S Walden