BALTI Sports secured their first-ever victory at the Clayson Stadium with an eventful 3-2 win over Dorchester Sports in the Dorset Senior Trophy first round.

Balti’s search to break their hoodoo at the home of their closest rivals looked to be prolonged beyond the decade in which both teams have duked it out in Dorset’s top flight.

Striker Ricky Lane clipped the post when put through one-on-one and seconds later Dorchester Sports took the lead on 14 minutes when Gareth Will supplied a fine pass for marksman Alex Stafie to lash home.

Thereafter, the hosts slackened off their approach and good pressing from Balti’s outstanding midfielder Sammy Nichols created an equaliser when he charged down goalkeeper Antony Frost’s attempted clearance into the net.

Lane and Ethan Devaney missed further chances for the visitors before the break, but Lane atoned for his earlier misses three minutes after the interval.

Collecting a ball over the top, Lane still had plenty to do but two excellent touches beat the hosts’ two covering defenders as the striker beat Frost one-on-one.

A dominant Balti extended their lead to 3-1 as Sean Zima’s inviting ball was buried from a yard out at the back post by Ethan Devaney.

Dorchester Sports were further hampered by skipper Jamie Samways’ sin-bin but the hosts rallied as former Balti right-back Ash Smith halved the deficit with 10 minutes remaining.

The momentum swung again as Balti full-back Che Curran was sent off after collecting a second yellow in the 85th minute for a poor tackle.

The county town side pinned Balti back late in the game and, in stoppage-time, Oli Lowes’ cross created a golden chance for substitute Jamie West but his header went wide of the back post to the agony of the home bench as Balti clung on to advance.

Speaking to Echosport, victorious Balti boss Marco Nott said: “It was a typical derby game, really. We got out of the traps quite well and overall we shaded it, to be honest.

“We played the better football but they did have spells in the game where they were dangerous – at the end they were trying to chase that equaliser.

“In the overall game we deserved to win but they did trouble us at times. If it had gone to extra-time with 10 men we’d have struggled.

“But fair play to the lads, we saw it out and got a vital victory, it was a really good performance after what happened last week (2-2 draw at Wareham).

“They put a real shift in and played some really good football at times. I was delighted, it was a massive result for us.”

Losing manager Ashley James was at a loss to explain Dorchester Sports’ below-par display.

He said: “As soon as we scored the first goal it all turned, I’m not sure why – I can’t put my finger on it.

“It’s hard to describe why. They seemed more up for it and as soon as the first goal went in it completely turned the other way.

“They got the momentum and went on to score the three goals. It wasn’t until the last 10, 15 minutes that we started to play again. By that time it was too late.”

Dorchester Sports host Sturminster Newton United in the Dorset Premier League Cup second round on Saturday (2.30pm), while Balti visit neighbours Portland United Reserves in the Dorset Premier League.

Dorchester Sports: Frost, Smith, P Thomas, A Gould, Hill, G Will, Samways, Hansford (Heal 80), Quinton (West 60), Stafie, Lowes. Sub not used: Churchill

Balti: A Nott, Curran, S Walker, Anderson, Taylor, Andrews (Burton 65), Nichols, Kenderdine, Devaney, Zima (Houghton 70), Lane (Drummond 75). Sub not used: M Nott


t: 01305 830990

e: neil.walton

twitter: @EchoSportNeil