YEOVIL returned to winning ways after a fine second-half show sank Gillingham at the Clayson Stadium.

The Glovers made one change to the team that drew 1-1 with Cardiff last weekend, as Thierry-Jo Gauvain started in defence.

The Gills took an early lead from their first corner of the game, as the hosts were unable to clear, and they were able to capitalise.

After being on top for the first 10 minutes, Gillingham tried for a second but Yeovil keeper Beth Howard was there to push it away.

With Yeovil struggling to maintain possession, Gillingham continued to push for a second goal, and after a mix-up in the Yeovil defence they were through again.

However, Howard did well and came out quickly to snuff out the oncoming danger.

As Yeovil began to grow into the game they finally got their equalising goal.

After Sarah Wiltshire’s attempt went just wide, captain Annie Heatherson was able to connect to the resulting corner and headed the ball in from close range for the equaliser.

Yeovil then looked to go ahead at the end of the first half as Wiltshire tried her luck from range, but the Gillingham keeper did well to deny the goal.

Yeovil came out for the second half much stronger and added their second goal through Wiltshire.

The ball rebounded off the keeper and Wiltshire was there to tap it in.

However, Gillingham looked to pull the game level again as an excellent ball into the box was well controlled.

Despite this, the player was unable to get enough power on her shot and it was straight at Howard.

After some good play from Yeovil they were able to further increase their lead.

It was Heatherson who was there once again as she managed to connect with the ball in a very congested box.

As the half continued, Gillingham looked like they were beginning to tire, and the goals kept coming for Yeovil.

This time Laura Williams ended up with the ball in space and found the back of the net with her shot from range to make it 4-1.

Yeovil added two further goals late in the half to solidify their lead with Wiltshire and Williams both notching doubles.

The first from Wiltshire, who smashed it into the top corner in trademark goal scoring style.

And the second from Williams, whose excellent strike from range bounced off the crossbar and into the goal.

Gillingham looked to pull one back in the final minutes of the game, however, they were unable to get anything from their


Yeovil looked the far better team in the second half, but the scoreline was a harsh reflection of Gillingham’s performance, who continued to push for the whole 90 minutes.

Player of the Match: Captain Annie Heatherson