Symes 10, 45+1, McKechnie 21, 27, Williams 88


Trimble 53, Rog 68

PORTLAND United threatened to throw away a 4-0 lead before eventually seeing off a youthful Bournemouth Poppies side 5-2 in a thrilling Sydenhams Wessex Premier Division clash at the Weyline Stadium.

Following on from their extraordinary 12-2 victory over Amesbury on Saturday, Portland picked up where they left off with a blistering early start.

Dominating possession from the off, the Blues recorded their first shot at goal in the second minute when Jamie Symes, fresh from scoring four times against Amesbury, pulled an effort wide.

But Symes quickly made amends after Portland were awarded a soft foul for a trip on Crit Clarke.

All of 35 yards out and with a billowing wind behind him, Symes hammered a swerving in-to-out free-kick into the right corner on 10 minutes.

Two minutes later, Portland wing wizard Ben Morris cut inside and lashed a dipping 30-yard strike that crashed against the far post.

With Portland in the ascendancy, Poppies’ attacks were infrequent but the Blues’ second goal came from a rare first-half attack from the visitors.

Goalkeeper Steve Boore was key in stopping a jinking run and shot from Louis Coulson. Portland cleared the corner and found Morris in the box, his turn and shot parried by Liam Harris into the path of Ryan McKechnie who finished from six yards for 2-0.

Portland had their second in six minutes when Josh Williams’ fierce drive was beaten behind by Harris. Although Poppies cleared that corner, Portland won another from which McKechnie rose highest to power home Alex Halloran’s excellent delivery.

Morris was again thwarted by a superb block from Harris and Portland were incensed as Halloran’s corner appeared to cross the line, but the officials waved play on.

Moments after Boore saved well from Claudio Carvalho, the Blues scored a deserved fourth in first-half stoppage-time when Symes closed down Harris before netting from an acute angle.

Eight minutes after the restart, Jamie Trimble headed home for Poppies to reduce their arrears and with 22 minutes left Karol Rog skirted round the Blues’ defence before squeezing a shot into the net through a crowd of bodies for 4-2.

Portland sat deeper as Poppies pressed and, after Sean Stewart was booked for a cynical tackle on Carvalho, captain Tyronne Carkeet slammed the free-kick against the far upright.

Williams capped a superb individual display by finally putting the game to bed, substitute Mo Hereka’s excellent midfield tackle and through ball releasing

Symes who was denied before fellow substitute Alex Godfrey set up Williams to plant a good finish into the left corner.

Spirited Poppies never gave up and Coulson rattled the underside of the bar in the 90th minute as Portland’s level slackened off.

Blues: Boore, Bessant (Godfrey 64), Cox, Stewart, L King, Clarke, McKechnie, Halloran (M Buckler 64), Symes, Morris (Hereka 86), Williams. Sub not used: Green.

Match ball sponsors: Clive & Edna Saunders

Programme sponsor: Palmer Snell, Weymouth

Attendance: 92


t: 01305 830990

e: neil.walton


twitter: @EchoSportNeil