BLACKMORE Vale League’s representative team beat their Weymouth Sunday League counterparts 9-1 at the Clayson Stadium to win the Mick Bowes Cup.

After a scrappy opening 15 minutes the Vale began to settle, dictated the match and created plenty of chances.

Unfortunately, James Weeks was replaced after a coming together saw him sustain a nasty head injury which required hospital treatment.

Soon afterwards, Weymouth bizarrely went down to 10 men after an altercation between teammates.

Vale continued to play well and were rewarded with three goals before half-time through Josh Farrant, Aaron Lawes and Brady Harcom.

The second half saw the Vale maintain a dominant grip on proceedings with their midfield three dictating the play despite Weymouth being allowed to return to 11 players.

More goals followed as Lawes bagged another three, Farrant completed his hat-trick and Laurence Cata scored what was ultimately the goal of the match to make it 9-0.

Weymouth managed to secure a consolation late on to complete a 9-1 score line.

Vale captain Greg Taylor said: “It was a great win and thoroughly deserved by all involved. I’m really proud of the lads both on performance and attitude.”

The league wishes to thank both teams and organisers, with the fixture raising £340 for chosen charity Mind.

Elsewhere, in the Dorset FA Sunday Challenge Plate, Barbarians took their semi-final against AFC Wimborne by the scruff of the neck taking a 4-0 lead into half-time thanks to Liam Searle and Shaun Ryder plus a Dale Hoffman brace.

In a contrasting difference to the first half, the second saw Wimborne come on strong. After 20 minutes Wimborne were given a penalty which they converted and Barbarians were reduced to 10 men.

Ten minutes later Wimborne saw Barbarians’ keeper Miles Fielding save another penalty but the hosts grabbed a second goal when a back pass was caught up the wet ground.

Barbarians dug deep with 10 men to reach the final.

In the second semi, Poole Borough started the match well for the first 20 minutes with lots of possession but could not break Greyhound down.

Hounds then started to get into the match and went in front with a well-taken Jon Boyt goal.

Borough had no real answer for this and then a brilliant individual goal by Callum Wray doubled the Hounds’ advantage.

Boyt then delivered an inch perfect pass through to Lawes who near on sealed the victory before half-time.

Borough came out for the second half and tried to put Hounds under pressure but it came to no avail, meaning the final will be an all-BVFL appear.

In Kellaway BS Division One, a top performance from Wincanton Comets in testing conditions saw them control their match against Hazelbury Bryan to run out 4-1 victors.

Goals from Jake Taylor, Jordan Lynk, Chris Hibberd and an own goal did the damage, while Hazelbury’s strike came via Jake Kedward.

Elsewhere, Bradford Abbas lost 2-1 to Sturminster Rovers in a very close match.

Both teams had good chances to take the lead in the first half but it was Abbas who took the lead just before half-time as a mix-up between goalkeeper and defender allowed Josh Malcolm a tap-in.

Rovers started the second half the better of the teams and then scored a penalty through George Coleman and a Neil Sweatman header to take the lead, holding on to see out the game.

Results – Dorset Challenge Plate semi-finals: AFC Wimborne 2 Gillingham Barbarians 4; Greyhound 3 Poole Borough Rovers 0.

JMW Inter-League Cup semi-finals: TGR v Tides Inn – abandoned due to deteriorating pitch; AFC Gloucester 3 Wincanton United 3 (Gloucester win 5-4 on pens).

Inter-League Shield quarter-final: Carpenters Arms v Tom Browns – home walkover.

Kellaway BS Division One: Bradford Abbas 1 Sturminster Rovers 2; Wincanton Comets 4 Hazelbury Bryan 1.

Mick Bowes Cup: Weymouth Sunday Football League 1 Blackmore Vale Football League 9.


t: 01305 830955

e: sport

twitter: @Dorsetechosport